Jörðgarð Map of Week #98 - West Fortress
|Description:||With the 98th Map of the Week we take a look at West Fortress in the Slovanian Royal County.
Key to the Map of West Fortress:
1. Lost Passage. The passage begins in the northwesternmost building of the Royal Trading Co. complex (Location No. 20) and ends in the old logging camp in the Jihles Wood north of town.
2. Northland Grainmill. Master Miller Alexej, a 44-year-old human male artisan, owns and operates the mill. He and his 40-year-old wife Stela, a human female journeyman miller and artisan, live with their two teenaged children in a wing of the mill's ground floor. Alexej charges a milling fee of 10% by weight. He employs a journey miller, a human male artisan, and an apprentice miller, a human female commoner.
3. The Last Inn. Visiting bureaucrats and military officers and traders who come to town are the main overnight guests in Blažej's Inn. He also puts up occasional visiting adventurers. His public room – the only tavern in West Fortress – does a booming business, not only with his overnight guests but also with locals and soldiers from the garrsison. Blažej, a 48-year-old human male merchant, runs the inn and public room. His 44-year-old wife, Bohumila, a human female artisan, is the cook. Their only son, Kašpar, a 23-year-old human male artisan, is the brewmaster, and he works the tap at night. The inn has two waitresses, Kašpar's 22-year-old human female wife, Ljuba, a commoner, and the 36-year-old local human female commoner Sylva. Blažej, Kašpar and their wives have separate apartments in the inn. Sylva, who does private after-hours business, has a room in the inn. Blažej offers the six single guest rooms at 6 bronze pieces nightly. Meals run from 4 bronze pieces to a silver piece. Kašpar's house brew, a dark ale, costs two copper pieces for a pint/half-liter tankard. The inn complex includes the main inn building, the brewhouse and a stable-barn combination.
5. Deer Creek Sawmill. Any lumber sold in northwestern Slovania comes from Darina's sawmill. All of the timber harvested in this area that isn't intended to be firewood comes to her sawmill, the only one in the region. Darina, a 34-year-old master sawyer and artisan, inherited the sawmill from her father. Single, she lives on the mill buildings's upper story. She employs a human male journeyman sawyer artisan, and two laborers, both human male commoners. The mill complex consists of the main mill building, a large shed and two lumber sheds.
6. Deer Creek
7. Jáchym's Wall
8. Training Grounds
9. Command Officers Quarters. Comandant Jiřina, a 49-year-old human female warrior, also has her quarters here.
10. War Wizards Tower. The war wizards stationed in the tower are Ahasver, a 66-year-old human male seer; Jolana, a 51-year-old human female white necromancer, and Ivana, a 42-year-old human female summoner.
14. Officers & Civilians Quarters
16. Butcher Izák. The slaughterhouse and meat packing operation (Location No. 18) has no local retail sales. Its products all are exported to other parts of Slovania. Locals buy their meat from Izák and their fish from the Fishermen's Guild (at Location No. 26). Izák, a 30-year-old human male bachelor, is a master butcher and artisan. He employs a journeyman butcher, human female artisan; an apprentice butcher, human male commoner, and a laborer, human male commoner. Izák buys beef and poultry from local farmers and boar and venison from hunters. He and his staff also buy from the catch of the Fishermen's Guild and sell fresh and smoked fish in the butcher shop. The smokehouse is outside of the main shop. Izák has a small apartment on the shop's second story.
17. Ludvik's Wagons. Master Wainwright Ludvik and his crew make everything from heavy logging and military wagons to wheelbarrows. Ludvik, a 44-year-old human male artisan, employs two journeyman wainwrights, human male and female artisans; an apprentice wainwright, human female commoner, and a laborer, human male commoner.
18. Slaughterhouse. Exactly who owns this large slaughterhouse and meat packing plant is unclear. Count Prokop is the only owner known by name, but he also has unnamed silent partners in the Newhouse area. It is managed by master butcher Dita, a 50-year-old human female artisan. She employs three journeyman butchers, human male and female artisans; two apprentice butchers, human male and female commoners, and two laborers, human male and female commoners. Dita buys bulls and poultry from local farmers, deer and boar from hunters and fish from the Fishermen's Guild. Her crew slaughters the animals, making smoked cuts and sausages or brined-packed meat of them. They also clean the fish, smoking some and packing others in brine. All the products produced in the plant are taken downstream in trade caravans to Newhouse.
Royal Trading Co. Station. This is the northern terminal of King Jáchym's trading coster. The 49-year-old human male merchant, Květoslav, is the local manager. As explained above, Květoslav is a part of the secret organization responsible for the Lost Passage. Normally, the terminal is responsible for receiving and dispatching caravans, trade wagons and traders who come from and go to Newhouse. Květoslav employs six laborers, all human male and female commoners.
19. Stable. Caravan and trader horses are kept here.
20. North Warehouse. This building hides the southern entrance to the Lost Passage.
22. Business Office. Květoslav lives on the upper story.
23. Zdislava's Woodworks. This rather sizeable carpentry and joining operation is owned by master carpenter and master joiner Zdislava, a 59-year-old human female artisan. She makes wood products of all sorts, both in series and on commision. Her products include cabinets and furniture, wooden tools, barrels, churns and much more. She employs two journeyman carpenters, two journeyman joiners and a journeyman botcher as well as three apprentices and two laborers. The jouneyman are artisans, the others commoners. All are human males and females. Most of Zdislava's wares are transported to Newhouse for resale.
24. Zdislava's Woodworks Shed.
25. Common Pasture
26. Hugo's Farm. This operation is a bit of many things, all other than a standard farm. Hugo, a 66-year-old retired human male ranger, and his wife, Apolena, a 65-year-old human female healer, are the owners. Hugo fishes on Deer Lake north of the village (and north of the map's border) and breeds horses. He is the only horse trader in West Fortress, but his breeding operation is small. At any given time, he has d4 draft horses and 0 to 4 war horses available. The number of war horses available is calculated with d6-2. A result of -1 or 0 indicates than none are available at present. Hugo also is chairman of the Fishermen's Guild. He negotiates all of the guild's fish sales. Apolena has a small herbal clinic on the second story of the farmhouse. She usually spends more of her time in her apothecary making herbal remedies than in healing. Most healing work is done by her assistant, Kazímir, a 43-year-old human male healer. The garrison is Apolena's main client, but she also accepts locals and adventurers as patients.
You can get the map in two versions:
1. The Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 version in FMP format, fully editable, from our Jörðgarð web page (31 MB).
2. As a JPG flat map of 1360 Pixels x 1020 Pixels (680 KB), available with the hyperlink below.
Both versions are released for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License Version 1.0a, which you can read on the Jörðgarð website at:
Next week: West Fortress - The Last Inn
The Vintyri (TM) Project