Jörðgarð Map of Week #93 - Typical Border March Town
|Description:||With the 93rd Map of the Week we continue in the Slovanian Border March with a look at a typical border area settlement.
There are two basic kinds of small settlements in the Border March and elsewhere in Slovania, inland settlements and border region settlements. Today, we look at the first of the two types. This map is not of a specific settlement but rather typical for most border area settlements.
Key to the map of a typical border region settlement
The unnumbered buildings all are wooden farmhouses and barns with wooden outhouses. All of the structures have wood shingle roofs.
1. Outer farm fields.
2. Main gate. The doors are of heavy wood.
3. Wooden towers. Each is 30 feet/9m high.
5. Public well.
6. Semaphore. These towers are the only stone structures in the settlement. They stand 50 ft/15 m high. A bonfire is lit atop the tower to warn other settlements of impending danger.
7. Observation tower. The wooden tower is 40 feet/12 m high. Guards atop the tower keep watch over the surrounding area seeking signs of danger.
You can get the map in two versions:
1. The Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 version in FMP format, fully editable, from our Jörðgarð web page (16 MB).
2. As a JPG flat map of 1360 Pixels x 1020 Pixels (665 KB), available with the hyperlink below.
Both versions are released for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License Version 1.0a, which you can read on the Jörðgarð website at:
Next week: Slovania - a typical inland settlement
The Vintyri (TM) Project