Jörðgarð Map of the Week - #5
|Description:||A reminder to FM8 users that you can download the FM8 version of any of these maps that might fit into your campaigns and then customize them to fit your needs. The FM8 versions are open and completely editable.
The Great Wars ended in the destruction of the Æsir Empire, but neither side won. Most of the Æsir and minions of the Darkness were slain or destroyed in the battles. Some powerful rangers and druids of the fallen Æsir banded together to form the Northern Circle, an organization that attempts to keep the surviving minions of the Darkness from taking control of the desolation. The fifth Joerdhgardh (TM) map of the week shows the Æsir Fist fortress, a fortified outpost and grove of the Northern Circle. You can get it in any one of three versions:
1. A JPG flat map, 1360 x 1020 pixels, with location names. To get this map, click the download link below. (1.1 MB)
2. A JPG flat map, 1360 x 1020 pixels, without location names. Download it from our Jörðgarð web page (1.1 MB)
3. The original FM8 map in FMP format, fully editable. Download it from our Jörðgarð web page (30 MB). This version includes a PDF pamphlet that tells you how to use the layers that are built into the map.
The following explains the numbered objects:
• 1. Dry Moat. The moat is a ditch 10 feet/3 m deep and 35 to 40 feet/10.5 to 12 m wide.
• 2. Drawbridge and Gatehouse. Usually the drawbridge is up, the gate is barred and the wooden gatehouse towers are empty. They are manned only when there is an alarm.
• 3. Storage Sheds.
• 4. Granary and Shed. This building serves farming operations in the fortress. The upper level is divided among a tool and equipment storage and repair area, a smoking chamber for meat and a storage area for grains and dried foods. The underground level is a root and ale cellar.
• 5. Brewhouse. The fortress grows its own barley and hops. The druids make the barley malt and then brew a golden bottom-fermented ale of it and the hops.
• 6. Dormitory. The two-story structure holds 35 cells for circle members attached to the fortress and another five cells for visiting circle members from the three outposts. The cells are only 10 by 10 feet/3 by 3 m wide and deep. Circle members use the cells only to store their small cache of personal goods and to sleep. Everyone, including Arnfinnur, sleeps in the dormitory.
• 7. Summer Meet. When the weather is mild and dry, all meetings and discussions of the circle take place here under the open sky. The benches can seat all 35 circle members who are attached to the fortress. In practice, such meetings usually involve only 10 to 20 circle members. A campfire always borns in the middle of the meeting area when there is a meet.
• 8. Woodshed.
• 9. Main Hall. No one lives here. The building holds small working offices. A large archive and library is on the second floor. The ground floor also holds the kitchen for the complex, a dining hall and general chamber where the circle members tend to gather evenings before going to sleep. Various members of the circle, depending upon who is in the fortress at any given time, work together to prepare the meals.
All three versions are released for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License Version 1.0a, which you can read on the Jörðgarð web site.
The Jörðgarð web site:
Next Week: Dungeon - The dark draug Málgurð's Lair
The Vintyri (TM) Project